Happy April my friends! The other day, I ran out of the homemade lotion I made in February, so I was inspired to try a new recipe. I thoroughly enjoyed the lotion I had made, but the main challenge I had was getting the consistency I was looking for. It did turn out to be nice, just not what I was expecting from all the recipes I had researched. I was expecting something like whipped cream and it was more just like a bit of a grainy soft butter. BUT this time around the texture turned out fantastically well, like a mixture of whipped cream and ice cream. Yum! It looked and smelled delicious enough to eat too, but unfortunately this is not for eating 🙁 haha 🙂 I’m really psyched about this recipe. It is a great base to play with and try different essential oils to make different scents.
Let’s do this!
1 cup of shea butter (where to buy)
1/2 cup of coconut oil (where to buy)
1/2 cup of sweet almond oil (where to buy)
30-40 drops of your desired essential oil (I used orange this time) (where to buy)
This is a picture tutorial 🙂
Put your shea butter and your coconut oil into a glass jar!
Put your glass jar into a pot in about an inch of water.
Simmer over medium heat, until the shea butter and coconut oil melt.
Remove it from the heat and let it sit for 25 to 30 minutes.
Put it into a bowl, and add the almond oil and the essential oil. Then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes so that it’s partially solidified before whipping.
You can see it start to form the way whipped cream does.
It will have peaks and looks like this picture below when it’s ready.
It looks like whipped cream but scoops like ice cream.
Put it into your jar of choice. Then take a picture and share it in some social media place, because that makes it more fun 🙂 Refrain from attempting to drink it because it looks like a mocha! 😉
This recipe made enough for two jars. One of these is a 250 ml mason jar, and the other is an 8 ounce plastic jar (about the same size). It’s about 2 cups worth of body butter. Here’s a place to get a 16 ounce plastic jar which would fit the whole recipe.
The Printable Version:
- 1 cup of shea butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of sweet almond oil
- 30-40 drops of your desired essential oil (I used orange this time)
- Put your shea butter and your coconut oil into a glass jar.
- Put your glass jar into a pot in about an inch of water.
- Simmer over medium heat, until the shea butter and coconut oil melt.
- Remove it from the heat and let it sit for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Put it into a bowl, and add the almond oil and the essential oil. Then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes so that it's partially solidified before whipping.
- Whip with a hand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Put it into your jar or jars of choice.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups worth of body butter.
- Try it with any essential oils that you like.
- You can replace the almond oil with other liquid oils too, like olive oil.